Thursday, January 10, 2013

Crayon Art

This is one of those projects I did before I started my blog. There aren't a lot of pictures, but I LOVE how they turned out! We gave these to A's preschool teachers in 2010.

Overall, this project was not a very expensive one. I had a few leftover boxes of crayons from back to school shopping (when they were like $0.10 or $0.25 each) and the canvas was on sale at Hobby Lobby.

I'm sorry, there aren't a lot of pictures (I was only thinking finished project, not a step-by-step at the time). We did 2 different designs - one vertical, and one horizontal. It was a super simple project (because I love quick and easy and cute things)!

1. Hot Glue crayons to canvas (I used a cool-temp glue to not melt the crayon first). It works best to put the glue directly on the crayon paper then put on the canvas. The glue kind of squished out in between, but it worked out ok since the crayons were pushed together (it also helped "hold" them together).

2. Once all crayons are attached & dried onto the canvas, break out your hair dryer! We started with a high heat, low force setting to prevent splatter and get the "pool" effect. Once we got the "pool" big enough, we switched the dryer to a high force setting to make it splatter.



3. For the second canvas, we used a high heat, high force setting right away. The result was less pooling, more splatter.



** Side note: beware of splatter!! This is what my toilet looked like after the project! Very colorful!


I think A's teachers enjoyed their art work gifts. They would make great end of the year presents too!

No comments:

Post a Comment